Saturday, May 31, 2008

Welcome Back...

By Pauly
Las Vegas, NV

This is going to be one of those sloppy posts written in ten minutes so expect a lot of grammar errors and tons of run-on sentences.

I started work around 10:30am and left at 1am. That's a below average day compared to last year. I was up to 3:30am writing for a 17 hour work day. I figured that would be the norm.

I had fun my first day at the 2008 WSOP due to the fact that I'm working a less stressful job and I have more time to hang out and talk to a alot of friends of mines that I met through poker. There are a bunch of folks that I only get to see on the tournament trail or exclusively in the summers during the WSOP. A couple of folks I last saw in Copenhagen or in Australia. It was really sincere to catch up and hear how everyone is doing, where they have been (like Costa Rica), or who they are working for.

Poker media seems to have a revolving door. If you have been in the business since 2000, chances are you worked for at least every major player in the industry. Every year at the WSOP, there are people who are working for a different outlet, me included.

A few friends won't be joining us tis year like Amy and Otis is not coming out to the end of June. But Spaceman arrived and is looking like Jim James from My Morning Jacket. Holy shit, talk about a mountain man! He's here along with some other chill folks like Owen from Vancouver and my buds at the Pokerati crew: Michalski and California Jen. In true Pokerati slacker fashion, Jen showed up totally hungover and Michalski showed up at 5pm (for a noon day start) then left before the stroke of Midnight.

Of course, I'm awaiting the arrival of everyone's favorite chain-smoking French journalist... Benjo!

Nicky had a brutal job this year, much like she and I both endured last year. It's not easy. Lucky for me, I managed to secure an assignment that will let me float around more and write about stuff that I want to write about. The best part about Day 1 was that everything I did... was what I wanted to do. Unfettered. Unrestrained. And you know what, I had a ton of fun and still managed to write at an elevated level, something I only attained a handful of times last year.

I only drank two beers all day... spread out between 5pm and Midnight. I didn't smoke much. I didn't spend a ton of money on food, but then again, Nicky and California Jen both failed to finish their ceasar chicken wrap or turkey sandwich and I got a free lunch! I ate a Cliff bar, a $6.50 cold personal pepperoni pizza from Pizza Hut, and a hamburger. No cheese. No fries. I spent $4 for one water. Unreal. I must have spent under $35 for food and another $20+ on beers and buying rounds.

Back to work in a few minutes... the commute is gonna suck!

No comments:

Post a Comment