Sunday, June 15, 2008

Bare Friday and STP Saturday

By Pauly
Las Vegas, NV

After two plus weeks of work, I had my first slacker day at the WSOP. I sort of timed this out. I knew that Michalski was throwing a Thrillist party at Bare on Friday and that Schecky hooked me and Nicky up with tickets to Stone Temple Pilots on Saturday. It would be a welcomed festive weekend to end a brutal two-week cycle.

I still managed to put 12+ hours in at the Rio on Friday and Saturday combined. Of course that doesn't include time at home where I wrote.

The Bare party was above average. I was one of the first to arrive and as soon as I walked in, a trio of smoking hot model-types were lined up with trays. The party was sponsored by Skyy Vodka and Dos Equis, which meant that the model-types handed out beers and vidka cocktails. The event was also sponsored by Showtime. They handed out these miniature wrapped brownies with a "Weeds" logo on front. I carefully inspected them and popped two. To my utter disappointment, they were not pot brownies. Booooo!

They aired a preview of the first episode of the new season of Weeds. That was cool. I caught about half of it before a couple of friends (Jen & Aaron) arrived. I drank a bit more and then left just at the moment the party was hitting its peak. I'm good like that.

On Saturday, my lazy day started off playing online poker by the pool. I didn't do so hot. I headed to work for a couple of hours. FTrain went deep in the Razz event and I was sweating him for most of my time at work.

At 6pm, I met up with a bunch of folks for dinner; Schecky, Joe, Amanda, Kristy, and Nicky. We ate Mexican food at the Palms. We played credit card roulette. Kristy lost and she had to pay the tab.

"That God it's only Mexican food" she joked. "I usually lose for the big meals like Nobu."

Schecky used to manage Stone Temple Pilots in the 1990s so he had the hook up with tickets and a VIP pass. It was good enough to get backstage.

I kinda drank heavily and knocked back a bunch of Peronis. The show was better than average. Schecky saw them on Thursday night and mentioned that the crowd was really into the show that night and that according to the guys in the band... the felt that it was the best show of this tour.

The highlights were the ten minutes where they played Plush and Interstate Love Song back-to-back. Yeah, those were their two most-popular tunes and had the entire crowd at Pearl rocking.

The crowd was made up of folks my age and older. I guess we were all teenagers or in college when STP hit the scene in the early 1990s. The tickets in our section were priced at $80. I didn't have to pay a cent (thanks to Schecky) but man, that's a lot of dough for a band that's led by a wastoid.

Scott Weiland looked like a freak and acted like he was a golden god.

"He's in his Jim Morrison phase," explained Schecky.

He was wasted on something and would mutter random shit in between songs. They did an interesting medley of two Beatles songs when Scott started rambling on stuff about the Beatles and Led Zeppelin. The band started playing Ticket to Ride > Day Tripper before they stopped and jammed out a song about Courtney Love.

Weiland's voice is not as strong as it once was and the sound was mixed to drown that out at times. He's still a rock star with amazing stage presence. I would have loved to have seen them in 1994.

No comments:

Post a Comment