Sunday, July 06, 2008

Pound

By Pauly
Las Vegas, NV

I got one of those pounding heads aches where the right side of my temple feels like it might burst.

Another one of those desert headaches. Not enough water. Too much dehydration. Include the initial stages of vicodin withdrawal and I'm sort of blah.

And don't forget about the hairdryer sounds that are screeching from above. I was ready to leave for work ten minutes ago but I have to wait for Nicky to finish blow drying her hair. I hate have to wait for stuff when I'm prepped and ready to go.

I like getting into work as early as possible. It's not that I love my job so much. The main reason is that I need extra time to set up my stuff and pre-write a few things before I get bombarded with people coming over to talk. The majority if them are my friends so it's a rough situation. I am generally interested in how they are doing and want to be polite, but when fourteen of your friends come by in the first hour --- well that kills the first hour. And that does not include the vultures who only stop by to pump me for info.

Working the WSOP taught me about non-optimal work situations. I usually write in seclusion but you really have to be on the top of your gave when you can't write two sentenced without getting interrupted.

I turned off the ringer on my phone yesterday. It was the best decision that I made in five weeks. Sometimes my phone goes off every five minutes. Distractions.

I had the "headphones rule" where everyone knew if I had them on in the press box, that it was a sign not to bother me. Of course, that went out the window. I had a few people get snippy because they were talking to me and I didn't hear them. Because I'm working! Ingrates. I have the tunes cranked up and trying to block everything out so I can focus on the task at hand not shower them with attention.

I missed Truckin' deadline. I'm not happy about. Makes me super depressed that I don't have enough time for that project. Utterly disgusting. Makes me want to die when I give poker more priority to the rest of the written word. I have a day off on Monday, but of course, I'll be holed up at home working on Truckin' and catching up on other assignments.

Today is Day 38. You know what? I have not been paid one cent for my work at the WSOP so far. So it feels like I've busted my ass for the last five weeks for... nothing. I'll get paid at the end of July... but for now, the nothingness is haunting me.

Oh well, I have like ten more days and then I can finally sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment