Friday, August 01, 2008

Flagged by the Bots, Frozen, and Free

By Pauly
Hollywerid, CA

Last night, I got four emails. Each of them was regarding a different blog being flagged by Google bots as a splog (or Spam Blog). Tao of Poker, Tao of Pauly, Truckin', and Coventry were all flagged and access was frozen. I could log into blogger, but unable post anything on those sites.

Tao of Bacon and Pauly's Pub were functioning along with my dozens of other random blogs. I had full access to those since they were not flagged by the bots.

I logged into blogger and saw this...


Last night, I requested a review of all of my blogs. I woke up and nothing had changed. I sprung into action and took over a vacant lot of real estate that I owned on the intertubes.

Tootie's Bong.

Originally, it was supposed to be a group dream blog. Nicky and I both posted there, but it never went anywhere. Birth and Death was November 2006.

It was available so I decided to use that as a platform during this mini-crisis. Tootie's Bong ended up being my FEMA trailer in a intertubes disaster.

I quickly found out that I was not the only one targeted. Nicky sifted through some forums and discovered several threads. thanks to Twitter, a few other friends gave me some swift advice.

The bots flagged thousands of blogs and everyone had to wait out the review process which included an inspection from a human to confirm that the blog was not a splog and indeed a regular blog. A 70-year old grandma with a garden blog got flagged. And she was pissed! So I was not the only one. One of Skippy's favorite blogs had gotten flagged in addition to the Revered AlCantHang's humble abode.

The good news was that I was not a specific target. The bad news? Some folks wait up to two weeks to get their cases reviewed and their blogs unfrozen.

Nothing I could do except aggressively make preparations to move to a backup blog at Wordpress.

Then somewhere in the middle of the Yankees and Angels game, I logged onto blogger to discover that Tao of Pauly and Truckin' have been released!

Sadly, Tao of Poker and Coventry are still being held hostage along with AlCantHang. Keep them in your prayers.

I will write more on the subject and google and all that other business. For now, I'm happy that 50% of my blogs are safe and sound.

Update.... I checked just before 9pm PT and noticed that Tao of Poker and Coventry have been unfrozen. Thank the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment