Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Almost Off Tilt...

By Pauly

There's a short Mexican woman in our kitchen," Gloria said matter of factly.

"I hope she's the maid," was my reply.

As I returned to the flat, Gloria was headed to work. I had just finished a random walk through the streets of London, sort of navel gazing and stewing in my own misery while listening to music. I've been on a huge Radiohead kick since I'm wandering their streets and trying to tap into Thom Yorke's weirdness.

The maid went about her business (hich took several hours. The flat is actually a duplex in Soho.Downstairs is a balcony, kitchen, and living room while there are two bed rooms and 1.5 bathrooms upstairs. The light in the bathroom with the shower broke and I had to shower in the dark. Naked. I thought I might be attacked by zombies straight out of Shaun of the Dead.

Most of yesterday, I watched the Bloomberg channel in utter desperation. It was past midday in London and the FTSE was tanking, while the US stock market was about an hour away from the morning bell. All the talking heads alluded that things were gonna be ugly based on the domino effect from the foreign markets. And it was. Talk about donkey blood splattered all over lower Manhattan. One of the worst trading days in years. All I could do is sit and slowly watch the wreck unfolded before my eyes.

The late afternoon was wasted in search of a laptop. I thought I found one and made a purchase. The price was too good to be true. Turned out there were tons of problems with the machine which I had to return. I'm still a man without a laptop (and pecking away on Nicky's laptop while she sleeps). I have to go back today to find something decent.

I also used an internet cafe to catch up on a huge backlog of email. It only cost £1 for unlimited access. I could swear that a bunch of AlQaeda operatives were huddled in the corner plotting out their next strike.

I also got offered an assignment in Budapest. It's during Halloween, which means that I'll have to skip GirlTalk in Denver with the Joker and Professional Keno Player Neil Fontenot. We had a group costume planned out and everything. Alas, I need the work and extra dough to pay for the laptop. In these troubling times, I fortunate enough that I can still get by as a writer. Man, I'm so glad that I don't work on Wall Street anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment