Sunday, December 28, 2008

Dive Bar Moving

By Pauly
New York City

One of my favorite dive bars in New York City is moving. There is a picture of P&G below in my post titled the Year in Pictures. You can see a couple of random pics taken in and around P&G in this NYC photo gallery.

When I took out-of-towners and seasoned alkies like AlCantHang and Iggy to the P&G, they absolutely loved it and never wanted to leave. I feel the same way. It's a total dump. A true dive in every sense of the word with an eclectic clientele.

I first drank there in my early 20s. It was the perfect spot to drink before and after a concert at the Beacon Theatre. I can't tell you how many times we had a pre-show drink there before an Allman Brothers concert or smoke one-hitters outside on the corner.

In my 30s, P&G became a bar where I'd go to escape from the daily grind or hide out from my friends. I dated a valium guzzling actress who lived around the corner and we'd often retreat there when we got sick the hipster-infestation in the other bars on the Upper West Side

Just last month, Yogi's shut their doors. Rents doubled. One dive bar down. No more slutty dirty chicks slinging you cans of PBR. P&G isn't closing up shop completely... it's just moving six blocks away. But you know, things won't exactly be the same.

One of my favorite nights in 2008 occurred at P&G when Iggy, GMoney, and StB visited NYC. We hung out at P&G and met some drunk dude named White Gold. He had star potential and became the subject of a series of YouTube videos.

Here are the White Gold videos...

Gold. I'll try to grab a beer or two before it closes.

No comments:

Post a Comment