Tuesday, May 26, 2009

$140 tip

By Pauly
Las Vegas, NV

The strippers are around and about my condo. They walk their dogs at odd hours. They tan themselves by the pools in the afternoon. The even work out in the massive 24-hour gym. Sometimes, you gotta love Las Vegas.

On Sunday afternoon, after we settled into the condo, Nicky took a nap in order to get back on Vegas Time. In LA, we were on a routine that most "morning people" followed. We were both up by 7am and Nicky was in the gym by 10am and sometimes earlier. I have been staying up to about 3am anyway and waking up around 7am. I know that once the WSOP starts, I'll be crashing around 5 or 6am and getting up at 9am.

We went out on Sunday night and met up with some folks around 10:30pm. AlCanthang had arrived in town a few hours earlier and although I wanted to rest up and relax, I had to see my good buddy. However, with AlCantHang, you know that there's no such thing as one drink. It's a commitment to fuckedupness. I accepted that mission. With AlCantHang in town all summer... it's gonna be a long summer and no shortage of binge drinking.

Garry mentioned that he was going to buying drinks for some of his crew at a place called the Yard House. It's sort of a chain brewery with tons of beers and located in the Town Centre area, which reminded me a lot like The Grove in LA minus the LA douchebags. Lots of high-end stores, a movie theatre, and places to eat and drink. Essentially, a yuppified mall minus the hordes of tourists.

AlCantHang grabbed a cab to the Yard House and it was a five minute drive from our condo. We met up with Eric (one of Nicky's Poker News colleagues) and Felipe (along with two of his friends from Portugal). We settled in at the far end of the bar. The Yard House was packed with locals. That's what is great about some of these bars off the Strip.... it has very few tourists and mostly locals drinking after a long day on the job.

I bought a round or two, but for the rest of the night, I drank free on either Garry or Al's tab. I did my best to stay away from SoCo. But at some point, I finally surrendered to the flow. Two lesbians sat down next to Al and he tried to set Garry up with one of them. Unfortuantely, they didn't like cock, so Al's attempt at playing cupid fizzled out. He did managed to WOW the cute bartender after he left a generous $140 tip on a $64 tab.

It's gonna be a long summer.

So yeah, I got a little sloppy at the Yard House mixing Carlsbergs and SoCo. I wasn't knock down drunk, but I had a strong buzz. Later that night back at the condo, I passed out after a few bingers. I guess that I was tired. I woke up a few hours later, still in my clothes, but somehow in bed, yet over the covers. The AC vent was located right above me and shot out batches and batches of cold air.

Yes, I woke up with a cold and I also woke up with a minor hangover. Both got progressively worse over the morning. And we had nothing to eat in the apartment. Just water. Nicky finally woke up and drove to Whole Foods so we can stock up. She's been on a sincere health kick the last few months and we've been trying to cook our own food as much as possible. Having a Whole Foods less than five minutes from the condo is clutch. The hard part is finding the time to cook meals during a crazy WSOP schedule.

After Whole Foods, we had to find batteries. Specifically, the gate opener for our condo had a bunk battery. I found a replacement at Fry's, a massive electronic store with millions of items constructed in China for mere pennies. I can spend hours inside that store and have over the last few years. In fact, the last time I was there, I saw Las Vegas cops hauling away a shoplifter. Anyway, Nicky had to pick up a wireless router. We have free internet in the apartment, but it's attached to a hard line. Once she set up the router, we had much better access. Wifi really is clutch and allows me to write on the terrace and on the shitter.

I spent the rest of Memorial Day afternoon, drifting in and out of sleep on the couch. I watched some of the Land of the Lost marathon and kept an eye on the Yankees score as I slowly nursed my health.

Nicky and I went to a surprise birthday for Friedman's wife, Jen. It was a nice gathering of some of their friends at an Italian restaurant. The food was better than average and the endless picthers of Sangria were tasty. Jen was pleasantly surprised with the evening, which was great since Friedman put a lot of thought and effort into the evening.

On a side note, I noticed that there's a fine line between a surprise party and an intervention. The difference is that at a surprise party, they don't tell you how much of a junkie you really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment