Tuesday, September 29, 2009

5,000

By Pauly
Los Angeles, CA

I signed up for Twitter in 2008 knowing that the concept was on the cusp of something big now that the technology would become obsolete in a less than a decade. I was interested and intrigued, but knew that Twitter could be helpful for what I did for a living.

I'm about to unleash my 5,000th tweet. Thanks for listening if you've been tuning in. 5,000. That's a lot of pollution that I contributed to over the last two years and in places as far away as Hungary and Argentina. During the summer, I used Twitter to update the progress of the World Series of Poker and update my friends with set lists from different Phish concerts. In those instances, Twitter is an amazing tool to quickly release short bits of information to a large group of people.

I'm still on the fence about Twitter. I find it helpful for shameless self-promotion and getting quick feedback about certain matters. I'm a fan of the one-way dialogue something that my friends on Facebook who say they prefer Twitter to Facebook.

I like the ability to stalk my friends, especially ones with amazing senses of humor. Every once in a while, I read a tweet and I laugh out loud. Some friends have eclectic tastes in music and even more diverse interest in food. And mostly every single one of my friends? They hate their jobs.

My biggest complaint about Twitter? Information overload. Sometimes it's too much of a chore to sift through the static. Sometimes I miss gems because of that. Applications like TweetDeck temporarily solved that problem, but now it's starting to become an issue again.

Second biggest complaint? Twitter is a huge suckage of my time at a point where I'm trying to reduce my distractions and addiction to the internet. The last two Saturdays I tried to stay off of Twitter completely except to plug some things that I wrote. I'm starting to think -- less is more.

Third biggest complaint? Too many people I follow are constantly complaining about stuff - even about Twitter. Gasp. Yeah, sometimes I want to fine my friends or throw them a yellow flag for "improper usage of social media devices."

Basically, I spend too much time reading about people complain about things --- and I cannot stop. That sums up what I did with my spare time over the last two years.

But wait, there has to be some benefits about Twitter? Dead people. I found out the majority of celebrity deaths via Twitter. That happened on Friday when Bob Stupak died. It happened last week to Patrick Swayze. I also found out about the deaths of Jim Carroll, Michael Jackson, Les Paul, John Hughes, Ted Kennedy, Steve McNair, Walter Cronkite, Farrah Fawcett, and Ed McMahon.

So there is a positive attribute to Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment