Tuesday, November 10, 2009

24 Hours Wears the Body Down

By Pauly
Las Vegas, NV

I'm going to sleep heavily as soon as I am done with a slew of deadlines.

In the last 10 days, there were at least five instances where I was up for more than 24 hours at a time and two stretches where I surpassed the 30-straight-hours mark topping in at 33 hours at one point. Even as an insomniac, the lack of sleep has been brutal.

Since I arrived in Las Vegas on Thursday night, there have been two instances where I was up for 24 hours without any rest and I wish that I can say that I was on an epic bender. Alas, both instances were work-related. I chatted with a friend of mine last night who owns multiple businesses and we both vented about our inability to properly outsource our work since we're both unique and can't find anyone who can do what we do. Maybe it's a trust issue. Who knows.

Regardless, I'm a one-man-show and with meetings and more meetings and I didn't have the luxury to pass off any work onto minions. I was fortunate that Nicky wrote a poker fashion piece for me on Tao of Poker. She cross-posted the Fashion Report on her site and you should check it out. But aside from that, I was raging solo.

Hopefully, I will sleep soon. I'm trying to crank out as much work as I can over the next three or four days so I can enjoy an upcoming vacation to Costa Rica where I hope to finally unplug.

I had to be a slave to my email and cell phone over the last few days and I'm sick and tired of hearing those "beeps" indicating a new text or voicemail. Just a brief look at my inboxes made me nauseous. I have over a thousand emails to read and don't have the time to do it. Maybe now is the time to outsource an "email reader" who can sift out the spam from the nuggets of gold.

In the meantime, I might unplug completely in order to catch up with work.

By the way, thanks to everyone who plugged my WSOP coverage on Tao of Poker, followed me on Twitter, and mentioned @taopauly in your tweets. You guys rock. Thanks for the pimpage.

No comments:

Post a Comment