Monday, May 02, 2011

Closure After a Decade?

By Pauly
Los Angeles, CA

If you're just waking up, check out what I wrote on Tao of Fear titled... Ding, Dong Bin Laden's Dead.

Although I got uncomfortably and insanely popular for writing about poker, I can write about many different topics. I don't believe in writer's block, but if there's one thing I can't write about it's 9/11. And it's not 9/11 per se, because I've written in depth about the fallout from 9/11, both politically and with regard to conspiracy theories, but I've never actually shared any writing I did that particular day. I didn't start a blog until Spring 2002 (I actually think Tao of Pauly turns 9 years old this month) but in September of 2001, my circle of friends at the time were bombarded with long, ranting emails about 9/11 triggering WWIII and ushering in the New World Order.

I might finally find the courage to write about 9/11 someday. I dunno if I'll ever share it with anyone. I was living in NYC at the time, and that Tuesday in September is just too... painful. Classmates from high school and former brokers I knew well had died. One guy even jumped.

I met Rudy Guiliani. It was a 9/11 funeral, one of many empty-casket funerals I attended, and Rudy shook my hand. He said something generic, but seemed extremely politically-slanted than empathetic, "I'm sorry for your loss."

At the time, all I kept thinking was, "I'm a lot taller than Rudy."

I have a suit that is permanently retired because I wore it a lot during 9/11 funerals and subsequent 9/11 memorials that I attended at my high school in 2002. It was too tough to go in 2003 and I skipped other yearly services since then. That suit has some bad mojo attached to it. I originally wore it at four weddings. So far, three of the unions have since dissolved and who knows about the status of the fourth couple. Rest assured that the next time you see me wearing that suit -- it's not going to be for a happy occasion.

For some friends and families of 9/11 victims, there can never be complete closure on what happened, but I hope this is a big step forward for many of them. It took ten years, but maybe the news of Bin Laden's death will relieve a burden that many of them have been carrying for the better part of a decade.

* * * *

Yesterday, I created a new link dump on Tao of Fear specifically designed for silver-centric links. For lack of a better nickname, we're calling it Silver Nugs. Hopefully, Change100 will be penning the weekly, uplifting sheeple-centric series Monday Morning Blue Pill, while I'll continue to be at the helm for the less cheery and morose Monday Morning Red Pill.
Silver Nugs: Buy Side Conspiracies, Swapping for Gold, Warehouse Shenanigans, APMEX Runs Out, and Silver Plunges

Monday Morning Red Pill: Royal Wedding Aftermath, WHCD, and Beck Goes After Gays

Monday Morning Blue Pill: Deadly Tornados, Bad Radiation, Arming Dictators and Screw the Royals
I also increased the output of op-eds for Tao of Fear. I doubt this burst can last over the summer when I have to step away from day-to-day operations in order to cover the WSOP, but for now, let's just enjoy the fact that I have time in my writing schedule to write a few expanded editorials...
Manipulation of Gas Prices in America

You Want Fries With That?; McDonalds Fields 1 Million Applications for 40,000 Jobs
Don't forget, you can always follow @TaoFear on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment