Thursday, June 06, 2013

The State of Cinema and Other Rants By Steven Soderbergh

By Pauly
Los Angeles, CA

Way behind in work and don't have much time to blog, so I figured it would be a perfect time to run this video of a speech that Steven Soderbergh gave at the San Francisco Film Society. This made the rounds several weeks ago, but it's a good time to revisit it. In a little more than 30 minutes, Soderbergh gives you the straight dope on the current state of Hollywood (and why there's no medium-budget films and the big vs. small mentality of the suits running studios). I watched it a second time and I grokked a few tidbits on the future of art and media in the 21st century.

By the way, I could not find this original video on YouTube. I should clarify, I found this video on YouTube, but I was unable to find one that allowed embedding. I found that... strange. Thankfully, Vimeo had a copy.

If you'd rather read this lecture, here's the transcript.

Yeah, Soderbergh said he quit Hollywood. He's painting (a lot). He wants to do a (cable) TV show. And he wrote a novel on Twitter using a secret account.

No comments:

Post a Comment