Sunday, September 15, 2013

Around the Horn: DFW, Non-Fall Revolutions, and Bad Fictional Cokeheads

By Pauly
Los Angeles, CA

Nancy Mumford

It was a busy week for me with a short-term freelance project and a couple of other things. I didn't get to do what I set out to do. Happens all the time. Never have enough time or motivation. Some day I'll accomplish 14% of what I set out to do and then I'll feel pretty smug about it and do nothing for a few weeks and then get overwhelmed once again. Cycles within cycles. That's life. The cycle when you're waiting for a cycle. Sort of like that John Lennon quote about life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

So here's what I cranked out this past week...
Revolutions? Not During Football Season - When will America have another revolution or civil war? It won't happen during football season (pro or college) because we're brainwashed and would rather glorifying that sort of extreme violence instead of channeling that energy into protesting the government.

2 A.M. Thoughts: Michael J. Fox and Fake Plastic Friends  - I get random things in my head late night. I usually keep those thoughts to myself, but decided to turn of the tap and let it flow. In this instance of a late night brain dump, I think about Joan Jett and Michael J. Fox's horrible portrayal as a cokehead in Bright Lights Big City.

DFW Blank on Blank - This is animation of David Foster Wallace discussing ambition in an old interview he did with Charlie Rose. This was inspired by the morbid fact that it's been five years since DFW took his life in 2008.

Silky Back Roads - More unfiltered late night ramblings. Short and sweet. References included Miles Davis, Jerry Garcia, and watered-down lemonade.

Over at Ocelot Sports, I pulled double duty with posts about baseball and football...
Bronx Bums Report: Boston Massacre'd; Yet (Barely) Still Alive - The Yanks got spanked by Boston last weekend, but despite the ass-kicking, the Yanks were still in the hunt for a potential playoff spot.

NFL Week 2: Fading the Jets on ThNF and Other Tales of Ordinary Madness - Here's my weekly rant about the Jets and why you should have bet against them on Thursday night against New England.

Ah and poker? I write about it sometimes. I'm covering the 2013 WCOOP for PokerStars. I wrote a couple of final table recaps...
Aduobe4 wins Event #5 [6-Max NL Shootout]; Liv Boeree finishes in fifth

David "Gunslinger3" Bach binks Event #21 $320 PLO H/L for his first WCOOP bracelet and takes one step closer to winning the PokerStars Grand Slam

Writing music over the last dew days included... Giant Steps by John Coltrane, a live show by Alt-J,  and Another Girl by my latest obsession Wild Belle.

That's it for now. You know the drill. NGTFOOMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment