Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Time the Doobie Brothers Were on What's Happening

By Pauly
Los Angeles, CA

I never heard of the Doobie Brothers until I saw an episode of What's Happening. I must've been 10 or 11 years old. It was the episode when Rerun was duped by a bootleger. He gave Rerun front row tickets in exchange for secretly recording a Doobie Brothers concert with a recorder underneath his coat. Rerun almost got away with it until the last song when he started jumping up and down and the recorder fell out. Classic hijinks.

I missed those 70s sitcoms and stumbled upon it by accident. I turned off a basketball game and starting flipping through the dial. It's something I rarely do because I'm not an avid TV watcher unless it's something specific. I rarely waste idle time zoning out in front of the TV. I'd rather do that by falling down a fell rabbit holes on YouTube.

Anyway, I cam across an offshoot of Starz that showed old 70s sitcoms. Diff'rent Strokes and the What's Happening were on back-to-back. Best part of those old sitcoms being on Starz (a premium cable station), is that all the commercials were cut out.

Here's the Doobies performing Takin it to the Streets...


I probably could ramble on 15K words about the culturally significance of Diff'rent Strokes but I'm out of time. I'll save that rant for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment