Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Musical Evolution

I was bored on my flight from Long Beach to JFK and scribbled down a few thoughts as I looked at the crop circles on the New Mexico/Texas border. One of my airborne thoughts was listing random albums and records I had in my collection dating back as far as 7th grade. I actually had a few vinyl records and a turn table when I was a kid. One of my first vinyl records was Thriller by Michael Jackson. Then the medium changed from records to cassette tapes to CDs and now I'm downloading stuff from iTunes and the web.
1985:
1. Iron Maiden - Live After Death
2. Def Leppard - Pyromania
3. Van Halen - 1984
4. The Police - Synchronicity
5. Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA

1989:
1. The Cure - The Head on the Door
2. The Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
3. R.E.M. - Green
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk
5. The Pixies - Doolittle

1993:
1. Phish - Hoist
2. Maceo Parker - Life on Planet Groove
3. Allman Brothers Band - Eat a Peach
4. The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall
5. Black Uhuru - Liberation

1997:
1. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
2. Radiohead - OK Computer
3. Ben Harper - Fight for Your Mind
4. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
5. Velvet Underground - Loaded

2001:
1. Charlie Hunter - Natty Dread
2. Grey Boy Allstars - Live
3. Galactic - Late for the Future
4. Thelonius Monk - Monk's Dream
5. Wilco - Summerteeth

2006:
1. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
2. My Morning Jacket - Z
3. Matisyahu - Live at Stubbs
4. Ben Harper - Both Sides of the Gun
5. Black Keys - Rubber Factory
As I moved from NYC to Atlanta and back to NYC then over to Seattle, my musical tastes changed and morphed. It's weird how I started out buying tapes of Metal bands like Iron Maiden and then fell into other genres such as rap, indie bands, jambands, blues, classic rock, jazz, and reggae. I wish I had the time to go back and write up 500-1000 words on every album. I'm putting that on my list of things to do. Perhaps I can write a book about "100 albums that affected my life" or "100 CDs I got totally ripped to the tits stoned to."

No comments:

Post a Comment