Tuesday, September 30, 2003

The Sweet Smells of October in the Bronx...

This is my favorite time of year. The weather is chilly, the leaves are turning different colors every moment, and of course... the Yankees are in the baseball playoffs! First game starts today and I'm super excited. You see my other favorite sports teams suck. And I'm not being critical. They do. The NY Jets are 0-4. Yikes. The NY Knicks are pathetic. They traded away Latrell Sprewell, one of the most exciting and controversial players in NY sports history. They will be lucky if they finish the season .500. The NY Rangers are caught up in the same rut as the Knicks. They overpay for guys who are past their prime. So that leaves me with only one team to root for... the Yankees. I hope they will avenge their first round exit from the 2002 playoffs. This year they posted the best record in baseball, but they are no where near as dominant as they once were. Injuries and old age had a lot to do with that this year... but in the postseason, none of that matters. It's a fresh start, and usually the hottest teams win. The Minnesota Twins are the best team in baseball int he last half of the season. Will they be able to edge out the Yanks in a short series? No way!

Here's what I think will happen in the first round of the playoffs...

Yanks to beat the Minnesota Twins in 4 games.
Oakland A's to trounce the Boston Red Sox in a sweep!
Chicago Cubs beating the Atlanta Braves in 5.
The Florida Marlins shocking the S.F. Giants in 4.

I like a Cubs and Yankees World Series. And I don't have to tell you who I think will win that.

Here are some good baseball blogs:
1. The Cub Reporter
2. Replacement Level Yankees
3. Bronx Banter

No comments:

Post a Comment