Monday, February 16, 2004

The Trade
"George Steinbrenner is the center of evil in the universe." - Ben Affleck

I'm sorry Ben. But let's talk about real evil. I sat through Bounce... twice.

OK, here's how I can explain this entire Red Sox-Yankees-A Rod mess to non-sports and non-baseball fans. Imagine if Britney Spears showed up at your front door... naked... and you told her to go home! That's how the Red Sox screwed up. The had a chance to tarde for A Rod and failed. The Yankees... they just happened to be sitting on their front steps, when a desperate, naked, Britney sauntered by.

I called up Senor at one point this weekend to hear his reactions to the now infamous trade. Here's the exact conversation that we had:
Pauly: Hey how about that trade, huh?

Senor: Look (in a serious tone)... I'm here watching the Costa Rica soccer game with my son. If you want to talk about soccer, that's fine. But that will be the only professional sport that we will be discussing.

Pauly: (a pause for several seconds) Well, that's cool. Put Jodd on the phone. I want to tell him that the Yankees just traded for A Rod!
Senor was joking of course. Jodd is super excited for the Yankees. It will be his first real season.

But perhaps this entire mess can be better understood by disecting the relationship of Ben and J. Lo, because just the like Red Sox, he had the best thing around fall into his lap... but didn't have the balls to close the deal. What were you thinking, man? Honestly, I dunno what makes me feel better... the Yankees getting the best player in baseball? Or the Red Sox not getting the best player in baseball! Either way, it was a sweet deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment