Monday, March 08, 2004

Monday Morning Grovel

Do I have a right to be pissed off at someone (a friend/peer) if I gave them a copy of a manuscript (a signed copy) and they have not finished reading it yet?

I normally don't hand out copies of my novels or screenplays while standing on a crowded street corners to anyone that walks by. The people whom I mailed or handed copies over to people represent a collection of folks whom I consider friends and my peers. I have to re-evaluate that definition.

OK, I know I can write faster than anyone can read. But I know there are copies of Jack Tripper Stole My Dog out there that have gone unfinished. I handed these out in late 2002! When I think about that... I get kinda pissed. OK, so you are busy? Who isn't busy? Let's not forget, I penned JTSMD when I was working 80 hours a week on Wall Street. I found the time to write that and took the time to get copies made and send them to said people. I take their actions as disrespectful. Am I right?

I get complaints all the time about content on the Tao of Pauly. There's too much Phish. There's too much poker. Well, how come you haven't read Truckin', which has 100% literary content? You can get off your ass and read my novels or excerpts.

I loathe your laziness.

I know there are a handful of people out there who have not read the first printing of JTSMD (I know who you are!) and of course I will not send them out any more writings until they are finished... why? I think it's pointless. If they ain't going to read my first novel then they sure as hell ain't going to read the rest. And yeah, I have four to date.

A good amount of my supporters and friends have read all of my manuscripts (and they make copies and pass them along to friends and co-workers... you guys are awesome!) and to them I say "thank you" and your support will be acknowledged in the future. (Think Oscar acceptance speech, lol).

Alas, it's your loss. OK, Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment