Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Watching Pauly I: Acquitting Himself Nicely…

Boy Genius wrote a hilarious entry titled: Acquitting Himself Nicely…. Here's a bit:
In the realm of “let that be a lesson to me,” Pauly did a masterful job of disciplining himself, playing fewer than 10 hands (more like maybe six) into the flop over the course of the hour plus I was watching. Never got baited into making a bad call, and made a couple of real nice laydowns too.

One in particular would have been a severe tilt hand for me. Pauly, in the BB (I think), limped in with what I’m guessing was a K9 or A9. Flop comes 997. Jackpot! A set with a great kicker. Pauly kept it a little too sensible methinks, check/calling his set (I’m only assuming he made a set) to see the turn with about four others. Turn shows a 6, and now we’ve got a whole bunch of straight potential on the board. If memory serves, this is where Pauly check/folded his way out of the hand. Good thing too, as the river provided a T, and any knucklehead with an 8 (yep, there was an 8) had made his straight.

Those are the types of hands that kill me. At least Pauly had the good sense to just call on the flop (again, assuming he was playing at least a set). With four others in the pot, it would make sense to hope something like a 3 or 4 would show up on the turn. A blank like that would hopefully help no one, and would open the door for a set to be bet heavily. Normally, on a flop like that one, I’d have probably went in for a raise, and someone with 8T would have chased. And, of course, hit the straight. And I would have been stinging from the hit.

Good and sensible. That’s our Pauly.

It breaks my heart to see that he finished 12th. Out of 300+, that’s nine places out of the top prize (the trip to the Bellagio and a seat at the WPT Championship Tournament), and six places out of at least having some cash to show for your troubles.

I think I’d rather get knocked out in 74th place by a well-placed trap than finish so tantalizingly close to the money. I’m sure it felt so close that he could taste it.

By the way, just based on the pictures on his site, can anyone just not see Pauly in a logo golf shirt and fancypants baseball cap plastered with the PartyPoker logo? Moneymaker looked like an accountant/Saturday morning golfer because he is an accountant/probable Saturday morning golfer. Is there logo gear for the drunken tortured artist? Has Charles Bukowski ever inspired a line of clothing onto which we could embroider the PartyPoker logo?

I think if Bukowski did inspire a line of clothes, they’d be scratch and sniff and reek of cheap bourbon and stale cigarettes. Maybe they’d have Grr-animal style mix-n-match tags on them too, with pictures of Marlboro Reds, ten dollar whores, and fifths of Ol Grandad. Regardless, I’m not real certain half-century old tattered tweed blazers, shirts that have been so carelessly laundered that the collars lay flat, butterflied across the width of one’s shoulders, and a weather-beaten fedora that looks like it came directly off the corpse of Shirley Povich, really would look appropriate with a logo applied.

Of course, I’m sure that if any of us were given a seat in the WPT Championship on the condition that we play the tournament in a diaper and six inch stripper heels, we’d all just be looking to make sure there were extra safety pins handy all week. Hell, I’d let Kotex put a sandwich board around my neck if they let me play in the tournament. I’m not above shilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment