Friday, August 15, 2003

Blackout!


Funny things happen when all the electricty vanishes! Power was restored for me about 8:30 AM. Sixteen hours without juice. It wasn't too bad. I had a great time. I was prepared with candles and an amazing book to read written by poker legend Doyle Brunson called Super System: A Course in Power Poker, a book all the best poker playes consider "the Bible". It is a 600 plus page monster and I knocked out more than half of that fucker yesterday and last night. I had about two hours of power available on my laptop, but chose to conserve it (just in case we'd be in for the long haul). I am fortunate to have a typewriter at my disposal... add a few candles and I was set to write in the darkness. I listened to the Yankees game on the radio. They beat Baltimore. I got a faint signal of a classic rock station and they played a half hour straight of the Beatles, as well as plenty of Bob Dylan, and the Grateful Dead. Overall, I wasn't affected at all. My cell phone was unable to make calls to anywhere inside NYC, but I could get calls from out of state.

The coolest thing about the blackout was that for the first time ever, I got to see a cluster of stars above New York. Way cool.

I heard some horror stories about people stuck in elevators and subways. Geez. Well that's it for now. Gotta get some stuff done, just in case the power goes bacl out.

No comments:

Post a Comment