Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Talking DFW On Thinking Poker Podcast

Los Angeles, CA

 
It's been a while since I've appeared on a poker podcast. Maybe late 2011? Wow, time flies. I'm semi-retired from the poker scene and declined a few opportunities to appear on various poker pods over the last couple of years. Honestly, whenever I was asked to speak about the hot button topic of the day, I politely declined because I really didn't care (about said topic) and/or lacked anything intelligent to say (that I had not already said or written about on Tao of Poker).

Enter the Thinking Poker Podcast.

The hosts (Andrew Brokos and Nate Meyvis) are a little different. It's not your typical poker podcast. I mean, it is in the true sense of the word because the podcast is strategy-based and Andrew 'foucault' Brokos is a well-known online player. But I knew Andrew and Nate were cool about discussing other things aside from poker, like the dark side of Vegas, which was right up my alley.

Shane was actually the first-ever guest on Thinking Poker. He's been on a couple of times actually and told me it would be a fun experience. And he was right. So glad I did it.

I had not met either host of Thinking Poker in real life (although I watched Andrew play online sessions a few times), but despite the fact we never really knew each other, the conversation flowed smoothly. Nate and Andrew are two smart dudes and it's not everyday that I get a chance to discuss David Foster Wallace. So cool that I got to chat a little bit about one of our favorite authors.

Shane mentioned that he thought it was great I got to talk about Vegas a "drug" and the darkside of Vegas. It really fit into the theme of Lost Vegas, which is all about the search for purity in one of the most impure places on Earth.

Listen to my stint on the Thinking Poker Podcast - Episode 76 - Doctor Pauly McGuire. My segment starts around the 32-minute mark.

Or you can download it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment