Saturday, March 22, 2003

What are you talking about?

A newbie to the gambling world asked me about some of the lingo I have been using in my most recent blogs. Here's a quick vocabulary lesson...

Big Bet = the game that I wager the most money on that day

Spread = Bookmakers in Las Vegas determine how much the favorite team will win by (e.g. Wisconsin -3 means that Wisconsin must win by four or more point in order for me to win that bet, if I were to take Missouri +3, then Missouri gets an additional three points added to it's final score. They can lose the game and I can still win the bet, as long as it's not by more than 2 points)

"Cover the Spread" = if the team you picked won by the amount the bookmakers said they would... I need Marquette to win by four points!

Push = when the outcome of the game, with the spread, results in a tie

Juice = when you lose a wager, you must pay an additional 10% of your orginal bet (e.g. if you make a $200 bet and you lose, you owe $220)

No comments:

Post a Comment