Saturday, April 19, 2003

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards" - Kierkegaard

Am I an alcoholic because I enjoy drinking alone? Or do I just dislike people? In the past year or so I discovered that one of my favorite weekly activities is editing pages of my new novel, while having a pint of Pilsner Urquell at the Cedar Tavern... usually around noontime, when the lights are not on yet, and the bar is illuminated with natural light from the mid afternoon sunlight, skipping over the few dejected regulars that had been slowly nursing their drinks since the Cedar opened (daily at 8:30 AM). I found myself there on Friday, sipping beers alone at the bar until Senor wandered over and met me for a turkey burger and a beer before Gil and Spider showed up an hour later and we started our Friday bar hopping session and shot pool for a while. Yes, I love drinking on weekday afternoons in NYC, while everyone is stuck in the cubicles staring at their boring screen savers, I'm getting sloshed with friends. Life doesn't get better than that. We ended up at Bar 81 in the East Village for more pool, where the Russian bartender barely spoke English and she had a tougher time calculating how much 3 double scotches and a McSorely's cost than I did figuring out my taxes this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment