Monday, July 12, 2004

Early Morning Creativity

I just exercised more personal creativity in the wee hours before 9am than mostly everyone on the planet will engage in during their entire lives. That's an uplifting feeling, knowing that I live to work on Monday mornings. When you love and are passionate about what you do... Monday mornings do not feel like your typical Monday mornings. You lose time. Who else jumped out of bed today at 4:59am and sprinted to their laptop? To quote Tony Robbins, "My Mondays are better than all of your birthdays, Christmases, and New Year's Eves combined."

Sometimes I shiver with the knowledge about the fortunate life I get to lead as a writer. It brings a smile to my face because I know that chaos, uncertainty, and darkness lurk beyond the next corner. Sure I was up before dawn writing my ass off, but that's what I've always wanted to do. That's what I was born to do. I've been working on a few projects and finally had time to take a breather.

Monday's Writing Music List:
1. Phish (The Bomb Factory, Dallas, TX, 5.7.94 II)
2. Django Reinhardt (Djangology, Rome, Italy, 1949)
3. The Grateful Dead (Pembroke Pines, FL, 5.22.77)
4. Medeski, Martin & Wood with Trey Anastasio (The Palace Theatre, Albany, NY, 12.1.00)
5. John Coltrane (Stockholm, Sweden, 1962)

I've got my groove back writing wise after my trip. My distractions are limited. This past week or so, I've been spending countless hours hacking it away on the laptop... so much so that I missed a few events that I really wanted to see like Ugarte's standup gig, a few phone calls, an afternoon Yankees game, a poker tournament on Party Poker, an episode of Dawson's Creek, lunch with a friend in SoHo, drinks with an old high school buddy, and several hours of sleep that I really could use. The time away from the poker tables is the only one I'm regretting since it's one of my sources of income and every hour away from the table is a few dollars I could have earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment