Thursday, April 01, 2004

10 years Ago Today... I Saw One of the Greatest Concerts of All Time

The Grateful Dead
4.1.1994 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Set 1: Picasso Moon > Deal, Wang Dang Doodle, Dire Wolf, Black Throated Wind, Bird Song
Set 2: Two China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Box Of Rain, Estimated Prophet > He's Gone > That Would Be Something > Drums > Space > The Other One > Wharf Rat > Turn On Your Lovelight
Encore: Brokedown Palace

It was the last night of a three show run at the Omni. I was living in Hotlanta at the time for my senior year in college. I was gearing up for three shows in Florida. Man. In 1994, I saw the Grateful Dead and Phish a combined 52 times. 1994 was a monumental year for me musically. I also saw a slew of Allman Brothers Band shows that year as well.

The Dead rarely played Turn On Your Lovelight after Pig Pen died twenty years earlier. It was a rare treat to close an amazing set. The encore of Brokedown Palace was a way to end a show. Phish should take note...

No comments:

Post a Comment