Friday, July 02, 2004

Greatest Game Ever?

Last night I watched one of the greatest baseball games in my life, with my brother. The NY Yankees beat the hated Boston Red Sox last night 5-4 in an insane extra inning game. The Yanks ended up sweeping the Red Sox and now have a huge lead over the nimrods from Beantown. And how about that catch? Derek Jeter showed everyone, once again, what he's one of the best to play the game after he made a spectacular catch and dove into the stands head first, without any care for his own safety. Wow. I'm still amazed he got out of that with just a few scrapes. He's one of the reasons the Yankees won all of those World Series in the last decade. You can't teach that kind of heart.

Fiction Is Dead is a great read from Larry Mahnken where he talks about one of the best games ever in the greatest rivalry in professional sports. Here's what he said:
If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it -- and I'm still not sure I do. This was the type of game that makes you believe in miracles and curses, mystique and aura, and destiny. It had heroes and it had goats, unlikely comebacks and lost opportunities, highlight-reel plays and errors. It was the kind of game that makes you a baseball fan until the day you die.
At any rate, last night ranked up there in the most memorable sports moments in my life. To think, it was just a regular season game. Man, nothing tops a Yankees-Red Sox game.

No comments:

Post a Comment