Tuesday, December 24, 2002

Freak!


I came home to a nice Christmas Eve surprise from Jun, a Japhan from Tokyo that I met while following Phish. Anyway, Jun is a guitar player for Horse, and sent me a letter and two CDs... one recording of Majestic Circus (formally members of Big Frog) and another recording of his band, Horse, live from club Yukotopia in Tokyo on 12.6.02. The best part of this gift was lyrics for a song that I wrote, Freak were made into a song, and played at that show, and Jun sent me a copy!! I was shocked to hear my words with their music! When Jun and Yuh and I were following Phish on there last tour in October of 2000, I would spend some time writing lyrics with Jun in hotel rooms before and after Phish shows in Las Vegas and all over California. I never expected anything to come out of it, and sure enough Jun returned to Tokyo and two years later, my lyrics have sprung to life!

So, I guess I'm a successful songwriter in Japan. :)

Here's some of Jun's letter to me:

Pauly -

How are you doing? :) I'm so sorry to be late sending CD-R.
Here Japan is so cold now and soon come New Year!!
Congraturation!! Happy Christmas and New Year!! You can
also listen to your lyrics on FREAK!! We made song for
you!! Please say hello to Senor and Mike, Derek and Mary Bear.

Peace,
Jun


The bootleg he sent me was:

Horse

12.6.02 Club Yukotopia
Tokyo, Japan

1. Intro >
2. Green Like Blue
4. Walkin'
5. FREAK
6. Summer Dress
7. Sittin' on Top of the World
8. Counterclockwise Blues
9. Monk Stone
10. Encore: Funky Bitch


If you'd like to hear my lyrics on Freak, let me know and I'll burn you a copy of their show.

No comments:

Post a Comment